Trianthology’s website has updated with a PV and tons of other stuff, including character portraits and bios. The VN will be coming out just next month, on August 28th.
Let me try my best to unpack this:
- 0:10 The “reflective shards” visualization is very reminiscent of Higurashi Hou’s OP. I imagine this will tie into the whole “Sea of Kakera/Fragments” world view of the When They Cry games.
- 0:25: Chess pieces? Could this mysterious Alice be engaged in another meta-world game?
- 0:45: OK, so it looks like all these stories are gonna get pretty dark. Even the harem one.
- 0:51: Gorillas making peace with man-kind? What sort of Planet of the Apes scenario is this? From the Gallery section of the site, it looks like this is an actual plot point from the sci-fi story.
- 0:56: And then, random Bernkastel. The character Saijyouji Karen also looks a lot like Beatrice Some other characters not shown previously flash by the screen in a blur after this, as well.
The song is pretty sweet, and it’s good to see we’re still keeping composers from Umineko and Higanbana (xaki).
All the English text is from “Alice in Wonderland”:
All in the golden afternoon …
How doth the little crocodile …
Fury said to a mouse, That …
“You are old, Father William” …
Speak roughly to your little boy…
“Will you walk a littler faster?” …
Twinkle, twinkle little bat…
Tis the voice of the lobster, …
The Queen of Hearts
They told me you had been to her…
DMM has posted a trailer for their upcoming game Iwaihime, with writing by Ryukishi07:
It looks like the game will have a big focus on romance, perhaps even more so than horror. Or maybe that’s just a bait-and-switch tactic. We’ll see when the game comes out November 27th in Japan. Either way, that tree (?) thing with the glowing red eyes is wicked cool.
The voice acting that starts at 2:00 in the video has been translated by Garlstadt on reddit:
Go, and curse your powerlessness.
Yours is not a destiny you can alter.
You are ten years late…
A hundred years late…
A thousand years late!
Someone has also posted a full version of the OP song, performed live by Rinne Yoshida:
Not among my favorite OPs* for a Ryukishi07 game, but it works.
* And for an extra bonus list, those would be!:
1. Pithos in the Fog (Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru)
2. Dusk is what Love Crosses Over (Higanbana no Saku Koro ni)
3. To That Day (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou)
4. Love is Omerta (Rose Guns Days)
5. Brand New Way, Broadway (Rose Guns Days Last Season)
After much searching online, I’ve finally found a video recording of Ryukishi07’s third panel at ACen! It was posted by a user on the Fuwanovel forums. Although there’s no recording for the other two panels, this one probably went over the most interesting information. So if you’re ready for some Ryukishi07 goodness, sit back and enjoy.
Cool little note: The guy asking a question at 2:59 in the 2nd video is me! Ryukishi07 was really cool about it. Although I’m just now realizing the interpreter probably misheard “death” when I send “depth”…ah well, it makes sense both ways.
If you still want a chance to see Ryukishi07 in person, he’ll be a guest at AnimeExpo this July.
MangaGamer has often promised that their new release of Higurashi will be easily moddable. It’s been released for barely over a week, and we’re already getting proof of that. The newest patch adds the voice acting and graphics from the game’s PS3 port. You can download it now on it’s Github page, or see a sample of the patch in action below. Big thanks to TheGuraGuraMan and some helpful Anons from 4chan.
I’ve also gotten confirmation that the new version of Onikakushi on MangaGamer’s site is 100% DRM free (the version on Steam has the regular Steam DRM…yeah, I’m one of the few people who actually cares about that). So if you’ve been waiting to play (or re-play) Higurashi, there’s been no better time!
Here’s more fascinating stuff from the flurry of information this weekend, with such topics as:
- Why he choose witches as a theme for Umineko.
- Whether he’s familiar with the Rosatrice theory.
- Whether Yasu is a transgendered character.
- The relation between the worlds and characters of Higurashi and Umineko (the translator doesn’t mention it, but it looks he is explicitly influenced by Osamu Tezuka’s Star System).
There’s also an article to go along with it, with some comments and more description of the first two panels. Good stuff!